Sunday, October 17, 2004

I found the bad apple... repellant needed to avoid infestation

I need to vent!

The following are some recent emails from the mother of a friendly, but thoroughly irksome, little girl in my class. She loves to "help". That is, she is always hovering, telling on her classmates, and never minding her own business. Now that I have exchanged emails with her mother, I know exactly where she gets it from.... read on!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wed 06/10/2004 1:06 PM

Dear Pisache,

Hi. A few days ago, Nalla was using her calculator to do her math problems. I asked her to do the calculations (simple additions) without calculator, and she responded: "We are supposed to use it." Is that true?

Thanks
Pareen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On Wed 06/10/2004 3:11 PM Pistache Lanoix wrote:

Friday's math test did have one component where the students were to estimate first, and then verify their results using a calculator. I don't often use the calculator, so it's not true that they are "supposed to use it".

Use of the calculator depends on the intent of the exercise. If the whole point is to practice addition, for instance, then it would defeat the purpose for Nalla to use a calculator. If, however, it is complex problem solving, then the point is to see if they know what operation to choose in order to solve the problem. A calculator will not help them with this process, but may be used once they've decided how to proceed.

Usually I tell the students to do it by hand unless verifying their work... it's good practice! They will soon realize that those who can do arithmetic in their head (ie: they know their math facts very well) will be faster than those who depend on a device (fingers, paper, tricks, or a calculator) to find the answer.

Thanks for checking with me! I hope this clears things up!

Pistâche

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Pistâche Lanoix wrote:

Good evening, Pareen!

I just got home from a workshop, and I wanted to email you before I forgot.

I've noticed that Nalla has handed in several quizzes (math and grammar) that were incomplete. I give as much time as possible for the students to complete the work. If Nalla needs more time to answer all the questions, she must let me know. Otherwise I only find out when I mark the papers, a task that I sometimes don't get to until several days later.

Can you please talk to Nalla about this?

Thanks very much, and have a good evening.
Pistâche

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wed 13/10/2004 11:06 PM

Dear Pistâche,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. She hadn't told us about the problems with the quizzes. If fact, I did not know that she had quizzes at all. Having this type of mini exams are really great. It encourages students to pay more attention and improves their speed.

I think it would help students, parents, and consequently yourself if parents are aware of class activities, especially quizzes, exams, and even assignments and when they are due.

I am going to talk to Nalla to find out what the problem is and in the mean time, I appreciate if you please make arrangements so that we know about weekly routine activities as well as the results of such quizzes; i.e., seeing the actual quiz.

Thanks again
Pareen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004, Pistâche Lanoix wrote:

Dear Pareen,

Thank you for your support and your quick response. As you say, students have the best chances for succes in school when there is good home/school communication, and when the parents support the classroom routine.

I sent home a description of the weekly routines in my first newsletter on September 16th, 2004. If you would like to read it again, I've put a copy up on the class website. While I do my best to keep parents informed, there is little else I can do beyond sending home the information with the students, and posting a copy of the letters on my website.

Weekly quizzes are discussed under the headings "Dictées and Spelling" and "Mathematics". Please note that there is a minor change: homework math packages are assigned on a weekly basis, but are not always due on Thursdays as described in the letter.

Regarding results for the quizzes, I generally return them to the students within a few days. I strongly encourage the students on a regular basis to bring these evaluations home and show their parents, who are best able to help them review material that they did not understand completely. With 31 students in my care, I am not able to take the time to send home their quiz results personally each week.

I will be updating my website (http://quesnel.vsb.bc.ca/genevieve/) as often as possible to reflect due dates for major projects and exams. Please note that this is not a replacement for regular use of the student planner. I don't always have the time to update the site on a daily basis, so it is vital that students keep track of their own homework assignments by writing in and checking their planner on a daily basis.

Thanks again for your support.

Pistâche

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thu 14/10/2004 10:14 PM

Dear Pistâche,

Thanks for your quick reply. I had seen your first newsletter, though I would like to be aware of any possible changes too. The website is a wonderful idea that I was not aware of it. At least, we can check that once a while to make sure that we are receiving all your notes home. Yet, I believe paper format works the best for us.

As an instructor (with a classes of usually over 150 students), I myself understand that it is hard to keep track of individual students in details. This, of course, is more challenging at elementary-school levels. Yet, I believe we should find a way to prevent these "smallproblems" before they get bigger and become unpreventable, as you have realized; which is really appreciated.

I guess, so far, it is good that you have found the problem (low performance in quizzes), and we together have found the source (parents not being aware of the low performance; which is mainly due to the papers not reaching home). Now, we (together) need to find a solution to make the communications stronger and help Nalla follow the routine, and I am sure wecan succeed if we work together as we are doing. I believe she is in a transition period. As a grade-five student, this year, she is given more responsibility to take care of her plans. So she does need this help.

Once again thanks a lot for all your efforts. We are looking forward to working more closely to succeed in preparing these kids for their future challenges.

Best Regards,
Pareen

I didn't bother replying to that one... I guess she decided she missed me, because...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sun 17/10/2004 5:54 PM

Dear Pistâche:
I hope you are having a relaxing weekend.

Finally, Nalla brought her quizzes home on Friday! Her marks are indeed shocking. We would not really expect her perform as such. However, we are happy, at least, that we have noticed the problem in the early of the school year, and we can work it out for improvements.

Indeed, I wonder what was the min/max/average in these 3 quizzes?

In order to fill the holes, I asked Hamid to work with Nalla on math. He has been re-examining her on the 3 quizzes. Two of them have been reviewed so far, and the third is to finish soon.

Besides, I wonder how we could help Nalla improve her dicte. The problem, I guess, lies in the fact that we are not totally aware of the materials being taught to the class in any given subject (math, French, English, ....). I wish we could have a set of the books used in your teaching. Any help in obtaining these materials is appreciated.

One more inquiry: I remember that, in our mini-conference meeting, you said that you would make a copy of the weekly personal planner (for after-school times), which Nalla had prepared, and return the original to her for implementation. We haven't received that yet. I wonder what is the plan for that?

I also wonder how your schedule is for a meeting to go over the progress and further plans for helping Nalla. I will be busy the whole days of Monday and Tuesday, but Hamid can make it (in either days) right after your class is over. Please let me know when it suits your schedule.

Thank you for your time.
Pareen

Instead of replying to this one right away (it is, after all, still the weekend... I should know better than to check work email before Monday) I wrote the following to my school principal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sun 17/10/2004 11:29 PM

Hi Richard,

Several days ago I forwarded to you a couple of emails from a student's mother along with my response. I was wondering what you thought of them.

She's emailed me again today (yes, Sunday! you'd think I'd know better than to check work email on a weekend):

[quoted email]
I find I am uncomfortable with the level of "sniffing" involved! Granted, I may just be paranoid after everything that happened last year, but I was wondering if you had any useful advice to give me on how to get her to back off without a "situation" developing. Everything she writes reeks of eager and friendly cooperation, but the tone seems less and less sincere in every email.

Is there a way to make her understand that (a) there are 30 other students in the class besides Nalla (b) the more time I spend explaining myself to parents, the less time I will have to devote to teaching my students and (c) I just want to do my job in peace, dang nabbit!!

For instance, could I write this?

Dear Pareen,

Thank you for your email. I am glad Nalla finally shared her quiz results with you. I agree with you completely: they are shocking indeed.

The class average was higher in all three quizzes than were Nalla's marks; this is because all the other children actually wrote their answers in the space provided. I regret I cannot give marks for imaginary work.

Your efforts to help Nalla improve her dictées is laudable. Of course, as previously mentioned in my September newsletter, I do not give dictées.

You have asked me what books I use in my teaching. You are more than welcome to take a look at the math textbook, Interactions 5. As for the other subjects, there are no textbooks. I just make it all up as I go along.

Sincerely yours,
Pistâche Lanoix

On second thought perhaps I shoudn't..... they might take me seriously!

Anyways, I'll pop in the office some time tomorrow to see if you have any wisdom to impart, O Former Teacher of Mine, Sir! *

Pistâche

PS: You may have noticed that, like soft wood, my humour tend to warp in bad weather. I'm sure we'll all get used to it!

PPS: I sent my mom a copy of the mock email.... she replied "Are you going to write that? Don't you think it's just a little sarcastic?"... she figured it out by the time she got to the "I make it up as I go along" part, though. Phew!

* 17 years ago, he did his practicum in my grade 4 class... you could say we go back a ways!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my day the parent's had no idea how there student was doing until they got the report card.

You should offer to set up a webcam that they can log on to and view at all times!

-- Alexis

Monday, October 18, 2004 12:24:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I won't EVER complain! Gosh... Scary... I haven't met the parents of MY pupils... Now I'ms scared!
Sinon, je suis vraiment désolée de ne pas avoir pu te parler/t'écrire plus tôt... Dès que je me reconnecte de façon permanente, je te refais un petit signe... On rattrapera le temps perdu et tu pourras me raconter ta vie (hors mère d'élève hystérique bien sûr!)
Bisous Albigeois
Alinette

Sunday, October 24, 2004 1:21:00 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...she didnt know you made quizes ? Where the hell was she all those years .. .the moon !?

watta freak !

~~ François

Monday, May 16, 2005 6:48:00 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home