Thursday, January 15, 2004

"Letter to the Editor-- Teachers Get Paid Too Much"

Teachers get paid TOO much! I'm fed up with teachers and their hefty salary schedules. What we need here is a little perspective.

If I had my way, I'd pay these teachers myself--I'd pay them babysitting wages. That's right-instead of paying these outrageous taxes, I'd give them $3 an hour out of my own pocket. And I'm only going to pay them for five hours, not for professional development, coaching after school sports, Christmas concerts, or any other extra-curricular activities. Not for coffee breaks and meetings either. Just $15 a day. Each parent should pay $15 a day to these teachers to babysit their child. Even if they have more than one child, it's still a lot cheaper than private daycare.

Now how many children do they teach every day - maybe 22? That's $15 x 22= $330 a day. But remember, they only work 190 days a year! I am not going to pay them for all those vacations or ProD days! $330 x 190= $62700 (Just a minute, I think my calculator needs new batteries.)

I know what you teachers will say--what about those who have 10 years experience and a master's degree? Well maybe, to be fair, they could get something closer to the minimum wage, and instead of just babysitting, they could read the kids a story. We could round the wage off to $5 an hour, times 5 hours, times 22 kids. That's $550 a day times 190 days. That's $104500 . . . HUH?!?

Wait a minute, let's get a little perspective here. Babysitting wages are too good for these teachers. Did anyone see a salary schedule around here?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home